Getting started (Developing)
Every developer of LedgerSMB, regardless of whether a UI developer, database developer or otherwise, needs to go through a series of steps to get set up. This page lists the steps to go through to get set up. The instructions below assume familiarity with GitHub and that you have forked the LedgerSMB repository. If not, then read these GitHub instructions about forking, Keeping your Fork Synced with Upstream, Creating and deleting branches and Opening pull requests.
Summary of resources
When getting started to develop LedgerSMB, you need the following overview of resources:
- The repository is GitHub
- The project's downloads are on: our downloads page
- The mailing list archive is on: archive.ledgersmb.org
- The demo site (and sandbox environment) is on: demo.cloud.efficito.com
- The translations are on: Transifex
- The developers chat on: FreeNode and Matrix
- The repository layout description
- Basic technical documentation
- Continuous integration on Travis CI
- The bug tracker on GitHub
The technical documentation includes the Source tree layout which describes what can be found in which directory, which will help you find your way around.
Setting up a development environment
The quickest way to get a development environment up, is probably by using the Docker development image.