For real-time help try our Matrix (IRC like) room #ledgersmb - you will usually find most of the core team hanging out there
The matrix room is also bridged to the chat.freenode.net #ledgersmb channel
We strongly recommend using a matrix client over an IRC client due to extended functionality, and persistent history (you can see what happened since you were last logged in. That's something you can't do with standard IRC)
The most feature-full and commonly used client is Riot
It is available as a web client (for computers) and also as Android and iOS clients from within the appropriate app stores
We suggest you create a matrix account as that will allow you to log back in later to see our response to your question.
When creating your account, don't forget to provide an email address, it's used if you ever forget your password and is not visible to anyone else.
There are people there who range from users to developers who are willing to help. We have agreed to adopt the Ubuntu code of conduct for our community. Please read it if you plan on joining us.
Please keep in mind that the community (especially the people you may need help from) are scattered around the world and will likely be in a different timezone to you.
This means that it can sometimes take quite a few hours before someone responds. (although these days on IRC there is someone around almost all of the time)
For email lists this is not a big problem, but if you are using Matrix/IRC (directly or via a matrix guest session) you will need to stay connected until someone answers otherwise we have no way to contact you :-)
If you ask for help as a signed up Matrix user, please log back in and check for a response occasionally, we will always respond as soon as someone is available.
NOTE: there is a nice feature of the Riot web app (a bell shaped icon near the top right) that shows all the messages that mention your name.
This is useful when you come back after a while to see if someone has responded to your question.
Just click on a message there to jump to that point in the chat history
Pasting multiple lines
NOTE: This is not required if you use a Matrix client such as Riot.
They handle it for you, and also have a file upload facility.
We also ask that you always use a paste site when pasting more than 2-3 lines.
Paste sites include:
http://scsys.co.uk:8002/ - direct past url to #ledgersmb via irc boot
If you are using Matrix, pasting images and files
will use a pastebin site (provided by matrix) automatically.
Matrix vs IRC
- Guest Access using the riot.im web client (with limited matrix features)
- Easy account signup via riot.im
- Room (Channel) history, even from when you are not online.
- better handling of files, images, large text pastes, syntax highlighting
- posts can be formatted with markdown
- can be (and for this channel has been) bridged to the legacy IRC channel freenode / #ledgersmb
Only the first one of these matters anymore
- Inconvenient to change your NICK on the IRC side of the bridge
You need to do this from a private chat with @appservice-irc:matrix.org
- Start a chat with @appservice-irc:matrix.org then send....
- !nick irc.freenode.net YourNewNick
- It is currently possible to authenticate on the IRC network (you shouldn't need to) but you will need to ask for help to set it up
- At this time you shouldn't use matrix to send any commands to the IRC network that contain sensitive information as they will be visible to all users in the matrix room. Although you can send commands via a private chat with @appservice-irc:matrix.org
We suggest you create an account as that will allow you to log back in later to see our response to your question.
All in All, matix (using the IRC bridge) is Definitely a better fit for most users.
Connecting to MATRIX (or IRC)
- Read more about using Matrix (which already bridges to IRC) and Riot Client (The preferred option)
- Read more about IRC on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irc and install a irc client and join us. (Please use a Matrix Client if you can)
- You can use a browser-based matrix client to join the channel.
It defaults to guest access with reduced features, but it is trivial to sign up and get additional benefits like channel history and other things.
- You can use a browser-based irc client to join the channel. (Please use a Matrix Client if you can)
Dedicated Chat client
- Matrix Console for Android
- Matrix Console for iOS
- Other Matrix clients and plugins (eg: plugin for Weechat)
- Connect to freenode network. Most clients have that already pre-configured. If not, connect to the following server:
Server: chat.freenode.net (or a server near you.)
Join the #ledgersmb channel.