For real-time help try IRC - you will usually find most of the core team hanging out at irc.freenode.net / #ledgersmb
The IRC channel is also bridged to the Matrix Network as #ledgersmb
There are people there who range from users to developers who are willing to help. We have agreed to adopt the Ubuntu code of conduct for our community. Please read it if you plan on joining us.
Please keep in mind that the community (especially the people you may need help from) are scattered around the world and will likely be in a different timezone to you.
This means that it can sometimes take quite a few hours before someone responds.
For email lists this is not a big problem, but if you are using IRC (directly or via a matrix guest session) you will need to stay connected until someone answers otherwise we have no way to contact you :-)
If you ask for help as a signed up Matrix user, please log back in and check for a response occasionally, we will always respond as soon as someone is available.
Pasting multiple lines
We also ask that you always use a paste site when pasting more than 2-3 lines.
Paste sites include:
- http://scsys.co.uk:8002/ - direct past url to #ledgersmb via irc boot
- If you are using Matrix, pasting images and files will use a pastebin site (provided by matrix) automatically, but large blocks of text still need to be manually placed in a pastebin
Matrix vs IRC
- Guest Access using the vector.im web client (with limited matrix features)
- Easy account signup via vector.im
- Room (Channel) history, even from when you are not online.
- Still a few features not implemented in the Matrix => IRC bridge
but they shouldn't affect most users
- Inconvenient to change your NICK on the IRC side of the bridge
You need to do this from a private chat with @appservice-irc:matrix.org
- It is currently almost impossible to authenticate on the IRC network (you shouldn't need to)
- At this time you shouldn't use matrix to send any commands to the IRC network that contain sensitive information as they will be visible to all users in the matrix room
We suggest you create an account as that will allow you to log back in later to see our response to your question.
All in All, matix (using the IRC bridge) is possibly a better fit for many users.
Connecting to IRC
- You can use a browser-based irc client to join the channel.
- You can use a browser-based matrix client to join the channel.
It defaults to guest access with reduced features, but it is trivial to sign up and get additional benefits like channel history and other things.
Dedicated IRC client