LedgerSMB is an acronym for Ledger Small Medium Business,
often abbreviated as LSMB.
The LedgerSMB project brings ERP /accounting software to small and midsize businesses.
- General ledger
- Inventory management
- Flexible framework to support Rapid Application Development for custom extensions
- and more
The fact that LedgerSMB is open source - meaning that the source code is freely available - makes it even more customizable and flexible.
The project holds high quality standards that should be expected from business software regarding these topics in particular:
- Software quality
We achieve this goal by:
- Stimulating a vibrant, open community centered around:
- Keeping a strong focus on efficiency and effectiveness through:
- use of proven technology
- re-use of existing solutions
- code and design pattern re-use within the code base
- real world use cases - introducing real solutions
Some features currently under development and/or planned for future releases of LedgerSMB:
- UI improvements (modern design, including mobile browser support)
- Platform and language neutral APIs (XML and database stored procedures)
- More authentication options
- LDAP customer/staff support
- More logic in the database with more constraints
- Improvements on the data structure
LedgerSMB began in 2006 as a fork of the popular general ledger software package called SQL-Ledger largely written and maintained by Dieter Simader since 1999. Versions 1.2 and earlier are largely based on SQL-Ledger's code. As of 1.3 our codebase is quickly moving away from what we inherited. Some of the improvements that we've made to the code base so far include:
- Enhanced security
- Better Windows support
- More reports
- Better data integrity controls
- Major size reduction while growing functionality
Travel in our history with Internet Archive and WayBackMachine .